The Milwaukee Bucks have released the following statement about the arrest of Sterling Brown after raw video was released from the incident on January 26, where he was tased and arrested but eventually not charged.
The abuse and intimidation that Sterling experienced at the hands of Milwaukee Police was shameful and inexcusable. Sterling has our full support as he shares his story and takes action to provide accountability.
Unfortunately, this isn't an isolated case. It shouldn’t require an incident involving a professional athlete to draw attention to the fact that vulnerable people in our communities have experienced similar, and even worse, treatment.
We are grateful for the service of many good police officers that courageously protect us, our fans and our city, but racial biases and abuses of power must not be ignored.
There needs to be more accountability.
The Milwaukee Police Department and local officials have acknowledged the challenges they are working to address, and we urge them to enact higher standards and more direct accountability. We all want to be able to trust each and every officer serving to protect us.
Incidents like this remind us of the injustices that persist. As an organization, we will support Sterling and build on our work with local leaders and organizations to foster safe neighborhoods and better our community.
- WATCH: Arrest of Sterling Brown, including tasing
- Statement from Sterling Brown: "Unlawful use of force" used
- Statement from Milwaukee Bucks: Arrest was "shameful and inexcusable"
- Community leaders call for firing of officers in Sterling Brown arrest
- Bucks players '#StandWithSterlingBrown' with solidarity messages after Brown arrest video release