It might be Halloween, but let’s talk about Thanksgiving and the build up to the holiday season. The holidays are a perfect time to buy something made right here in Wisconsin to bring to your next party or give as a gift.
The Elegant Farmer is a farm kitchen, bakery, deli and market. It’s open year-round, but in the fall you can stop by their farm to pick apples, pumpkins and squash.
- What the Elegant Farmer is really known for is their famous Apple Pie Baked in Paper Bag.
- It’s been a signature dessert for decades – it’s been named “best pie in America” by the Wall Street Journal, Gourmet magazine and the Food Network.
- The Elegant Farmer’s apple pie even beat out Bobby Flay’s version on an episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay.
- The pies are so popular, they bake over a quarter of a million pies each year.
- You can order the pies online or stop by the store in Mukwonago to buy one fresh. Their other specialty items include cider-baked ham, applesauce, fruit crisps and fruit breads.
The Usinger family has been making sausage in Milwaukee for over 130 years. They specialize in European-style wursts and have over 70 varieties of Old World sausage to choose from.
- You can find Usinger’s products at grocery stores throughout Wisconsin and even Northern Illinois, or buy their specialty items online.
- They sell everything from deli meats and hams to liver sausage and snack sticks, and of course multiple kinds of bratwurst.
- You can’t go wrong with a visit the store in Milwaukee. They’re located right on the banks of the Milwaukee River and the Milwaukee Riverwalk.
- The shop is located at the same location as their original factory. When you visit, it’s like stepping back in time. The store has all the original trimmings and architecture.
Wisconsin is the largest producer of cranberries in the nation. Our state harvests more than 60% of the country’s cranberry crop, and the Wisconsin Discovery Center is dedicated to the history and education of cranberry industry in the state.
- The Discovery Center is housed in the historical Union Cranberry Warehouse in downtown Warrens.
- The building is over 100 years old and walks visitors through the evolution of the cranberry crop in Wisconsin through video and historic exhibits.
- They center also has an old-fashioned ice cream parlor that sells handmade ice cream in 11 different cranberry flavors.
- There’s also a boutique shop where you can buy Wisconsin-made cranberry food products like dried cranberries and cranberry coffee, as well as cranberry-scented health and beauty products.