New York might have Rockefeller Center, but Wisconsin has some great (and beautiful) ice skating rinks around the state. On your next date night, skip the movie and enjoy dinner and a skate.
In Madison, visit the Edgewater Hotel on the shores on Lake Mendota. The boutique hotel is a AAA Four Diamond Award-winning property with dining options for every taste.
- For dinner, try The Statehouse. The restaurant features a modern take on Midwestern cuisine. They use fresh ingredients and artisanal products whenever possible.
- After, head outside for a spin around the Edgewater’s ice rink. It’s 4,000 square-feet and has spectacular views of the lake from one end of the rink and the Wisconsin State Capitol dome on the other end.
- Warm up with some hot chocolate or a craft beer in The Icehouse, the hotel’s rink-side pub & eatery.
During the winter, Wausau’s popular 400 Block Park features a recreational ice rink with a warming house. The rink is set up in the middle of the park’s plaza, surrounded by local business, including the nearby Mint Café.
- The retro-style restaurant has been in business over 125 years and serves classic burgers and gourmet sandwiches.
- The café has been visited by famous personalities like James Carville to Aretha Franklin. You can see their autographs hanging on the wall to this day.
Slice of Ice in Red Arrow Park is located in the heart of downtown Milwaukee surrounded by views of the city’s skyline.
- You can rent your skates onsite, or bring your own ice skates to skate for free.
- The rink also includes a warming house with lockers, and a Starbucks, perfect for warming up in between laps.
- For dinner, head a few minutes north to Bartolotta’s Lake Park Bistro on a scenic bluff overlooking Lake Michigan.
- Lake Park Bistro is one of the best restaurants in Milwaukee. The restaurant’s Executive Chef worked in some of the best restaurants in France and has won the James Beard Award for Best Chef Midwest in 2008.
- The restaurant features authentic French country bistro cooking (and a menu written in French) with escargot, steak frites, foie gras.
For more, check out travelwisconsin.com.