Tonight, Travel Wisconsin is kicking off the 50th Edition of Summerfest on Facebook Live at 9:10 p.m.
- We’re celebrating the milestone anniversary of the World’s Largest Music Festival with our more than 450,000 Travel Wisconsin Facebook fans
- It’s a 20-minute Facebook livestream with a special appearance from Governor Walker and a surprise guest.
- Local alt rock band Eagle Trace will also perform during the livestream
Water Ski shows
With 15,000 lakes, it’s no surprise that Wisconsin is the show skiing capital of the world. In fact, some of the best water ski show teams in the country are from Wisconsin.
- Rock Aqua Jays Waterski Show in Janesville is one of the most successful amateur teams in the world.
- The team has won more than 60 tournaments and 19 national titles.
- You can see them perform on the Rock River at Traxler Park on Sunday and Wednesday evenings during the summer.
- The Min-Aqua Bats Waterski Club is one of the oldest waterski show teams in the US.
- The club originated in 1950 by a group of locals who would waterski on Sunday afternoons.
- Today, the team performs three nights a week on Lake Minocqua, along with competing in tournaments throughout the Midwest.
Windsurfing on Lake Winnebago
- Wisconsin’s largest inland lake – is a great spot for windsurfing. Wind Power Surf Shop in Fond du Lac offers windsurfing, kiteboarding, stand up paddleboarding and sailing lessons, as well as equipment rentals.
- Fond du Lac is also home to the annual Wind Power Championships, one of the Midwest’s largest wind power competitions, with participants coming from across the county.
- Race courses at the championships range from beginner to advanced in the windsurfing, stand up paddleboard and youth sailboat categories.
- This year’s event will be held at Roosevelt Park in Fond du Lac Sept. 22-24.
Freshwater surfing on the shores of Lake Michigan
Sheboygan is known for its freshwater surfing. Freshwater is much less buoyant than saltwater so it makes for an exciting challenge for surfers who are looking for something new.
- The freshwater plus strong winds from Lake Michigan create ideal surfing conditions and the city has become known as the “Malibu of the Midwest.”
- Surf season typically begins at the end of August and runs through mid-April.
EOS Surf & Outdoor Shop is Wisconsin’s first and only dedicated surf shop. They rent surfboards and wetsuits for those who want to test the waters.