Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett has announced that the City of Milwaukee will be more than doubling the number of early voting locations in the city from three to eight locations.
He also said in a news conference Monday that the city would start early voting on September 24. Watch Mayor Barrett's news conference below.
Mayor Barrett said that the city would have early voting at these locations.
- Zeidler Municipal Building, 841 North Broadway
- Center Street Library, 2727 West Fond du Lac Avenue
- Midtown Center, 5700 West Capitol Drive
- Mill Road Library, 6431 North 76th Street
- Milwaukee Area Technical College (exact location TBA, for students/faculty only)
- Mitchell Street Library, 906 West Historic Mitchell Street
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (exact location TBA, for general public use)
- Zablocki Library, 3501 West Oklahoma Avenue
He said the move is to stop what he called at the state government level "deliberate attempts to make it harder for people to vote" involving voter ID laws.
He said the number of people who have taken part in early voting has increased from 5,000 in the 2000 election to 53,000 in 2016.
"That number will grow even more. That's important, and that's good."