Wisconsin has more than 15,000 lakes, 1,000-plus miles of Great Lakes shoreline and roughly 150 species of fish. Angling is astonishingly accessible with bass, bluegills, bullheads, crappies, catfish, muskie, perch, pike, and walleye ready for reeling in.
Eagle River Chain
The 9 lakes of the Eagle River Chain comprise nearly 3,600 acres, and when combined with the adjoining Three Lakes Chain, form the largest freshwater chain of lakes in the world.
- In recent years the Chain has been recognized as one of Wisconsin’s most productive muskie fisheries.
- A boat hoist at the Burnt Rollways Dam on the Eagle River at Long Lake allows boaters to pass between the Three Lakes and Eagle River chains.
- During mid-summer, the Eagle River Chain can be crowded in the middle of the day. Luckily, the best times to fish are early morning and evening as game fish move shallower to feed.
- For other aquatic fun, visit Wildwood Outdoor Adventures in Eagle River. Wildwood offers many different guided and unguided tours that will get you out onto the water. Popular choices include the Wisconsin River adventure and the wildlife viewing experience.
The Best Dam Fishing Float- La Crosse
Most folks think there are only three spots for fishing: from a shoreline, a pier, or a boat. However, some of the best fishing action in the Midwest takes place from Mississippi River fishing barges.
- The historic fishing float, known as the Best Dam Fishing Float, is located below Dresbach lock and dam #7 near La Crosse and has 400 feet of fishable rail and are handicap and child friendly.
- Their bait and tackle shop can provide you with quality rental fishing gear and all the drinks, water and many snacks available.
- Adults: $20, Kids under 12 yrs old: $5
Just minutes from the quaint tourist oasis of Lake Geneva and its 5,400-acre Geneva Lake is this dynamic fishing location and solid muskie-catching spot in Walworth County.
- Delavan Lake is a 1906-acre lake located in Walworth County. It has a maximum depth of 52 feet.
- Delavan Lake was reopened in 1992. Since then, the extensive stocking efforts by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources have yielded excellent game fish populations. The WDNR stocks both walleye and muskie. Walleye are stocked every other year at a rate of 100,000 fry, while 2,500 muskie fingerling are stocked annually.
- Equipped with a public beach and surrounded by some top-tier resorts, Delavan Lake is perfect for southern Wisconsin travelers looking for active fishing and secluded relaxation.
- Non-fishers can relax at nearby Lake Lawn Resort, situated on 250 acres with beautiful Delavan Lake as its backdrop. Visitors can take advantage of an 18-hole golf course, tennis court, lavish fire pits, the Calladora Spa and more.